When I first moved to Leeds I didn’t know anyone. Now I’m lucky enough to have my self made family of friends, advisors and agony aunts.
It doesn’t happen overnight, but if you find yourself feeling lonely in a new city or town. Here are 10 things you can do to help make new friends.
1. Join a book club. This one is simple and enjoyable too. Join a book club and meet new, likeminded friends in an open and inclusive environment.
2. Say hi to your neighbours. When I first moved to Leeds I was terrified of city life. But there’s no need to be a recluse. Say hi to your neighbours and get chatting. You never know what you might have in common.
3. Join sport groups. This one is a no brainer. Whether it’s mixed rugby, a running club or netball, this is a great way to make friends.
4. Date for friends. Bumble offers a best friend dating service to help match like minded people feeling lost in the city. Head on and get swiping.
5. Get involved in work social groups. Nine times out of ten your work will have a group of people that gang together and do out of work activities like sport, fitness etc.
6. Mix up your lunch plans. Don’t go it alone everyday. Head for lunch with different people at work and see where you fit.
7. Go it alone. Just because you’re new in town and lacking a partner in crime, doesn’t mean you can’t head out and explore the city. Check out museums, cafes and more and become a regular. Chat with people along the way too. You’ll be amazed by the people you stumble across.
8. Be the new girl. At some point, everyone has been the new girl. Let people know you’re new to town and you’re feeling a little lost. People love to help people, so you’ll soon find people are open to helping you out.
9. Look on the gram. Instagram is a great way to explore a city and find new places to visit. There are also plenty of online communities such as photography groups that regularly meet up you can be a part of too.
10. Volunteer. With all that spare time, why not volunteer. You’ll meet new people outside of work, feel good and give back to the community.
Trying one or all of these is guaranteed to help you bed into a new city. There’s really no need to feel lonely, you just have to put yourself out there and do some leg work to make new friends.
If I can create a network of lovely friends, then you can to. 😊