I’m guilty of it. You come in from work exhausted and the last thing you want to do is sit in front of the mirror, staring at your weathered face and watching yourself become older, more washed out and knackered as you start to wash off what little bit of dignity you had left to cling on to.
Unfortunately, skipping taking your make up off is probably what’s making you look so god dam haggard. Or so Dr. Ejikeme at Adonia Medical Clinic reckons.
Here’s some tips from the skin pros as to why it’s probably best to wash that face off…
- MAKEUP CONTAINS CHEMICALS: as much as you take the time choosing products suited to sensitive skin or made from organic ingredients, makeup still contains chemicals that can be harmful, especially if they’re left on for a whole day and night. These chemicals penetrate the delicate skin, blocking the natural secretion of sebum – the lubricant and moisturiser your skin makes.
- IT COULD CAUSE SPOTS: this is a given, but the skin on your face is made up of pores, tiny little holes where sebum is produced, and toxins are removed. If you go to sleep with your makeup on, particularly if you wear a lot, your skin can’t breathe. When your pores become blocked, it causes spots and blackheads to develop.
- IT MAY CAUSE EYE INFECTIONS: our eyes are sensitive at the best of times, especially the delicate skin around them. Eye makeup left on overnight is just asking for trouble. As we sleep, bits of product can get into our eyes, causing irritation and eventually, infection. Even if you get away without one, your eyelashes may become brittle and fall out.
- CONTRIBUTES TO AGEING: as we sleep, our skin goes through a renewal process, regenerating cells and repairing itself. When your skin has makeup on, it can’t breathe, which interferes with the natural repair mechanism. Throughout the day, environmental pollutants stick to your face, which increase oxidative stress if not removed.
- YOUR PORES WILL ENLARGE: makeup left on overnight causes your pores to become clogged, preventing them from producing all-important collagen. Over time, they become more visible and are famously tricky to remove
Time to reach for the makeup wipes girls!