OK so we all have that friend. The fashionista, the one that rolls up to work, drinks, the gym, even a god dam funeral looking shit hot. If you don’t have that friend, you are that friend – congrats!
I’m lucky, mine happens to be one of my besties – Miss Lauren Saville (Sav for short). She’s laid back AF and totally not precious, so I can pretty much rip off her style and it’s all good.
This is Lauren… I’m sure you’ll agree – drop dead and pretty sassy with it.
So, I decided to monitor her. We’re way passed any awkwardness, so she’s only found this slightly creepy… or at least pretended she was OK with it.
Anyway, a bit of background on Lauren. She’s always on point when it comes to style, she’s always manicured – I mean this girl irons for sure, and she always looks effortlessly fashionable… she even won the fashionista award at work (whilst I got most like Dot Cotten – kind of puts it into context).
I started by taking pictures of her outfits each day… and here’s what I learnt.
So, if I wear a trainer I look so scruffy, but this works and I think it’s the accessories – making it look more put together. I guess if you’re gunna rock a trainer, make sure the rest of you is pretty well put together that day.
OK, this is me demonstrating that going to the gym can apparently look good. I love the way Sav has colour comboed her shoes and jacket and kept everything else pretty subtle. The necklaces with the throw back adidas looks cool too.
This is a great example of how you absolutely 100% can wear heels during the day and not look too nobby. This outfit is so cute, and the neutrals make the heels really understated.
We’re out for drinks here, so excuse the wine shot. This is a great day to night outfit. Grey skinnies with the colour pop make the outfit really interesting. Cute necklace too – not too much.
I then interrogated her for her fashion secrets…
- Q. How do you keep on top of trends?
- A. I love Instagram, it’s an easy way to monitor new trends and I’ve found loads of new places to shop using it. The ‘New In’ sections on websites like ASOS and Missguided are good too.
- Q. How often do you shop?
- A. Too much (giggles) – I guess once a fortnight, unless I’m going out – then I buy a new outfit.
- Q. How do you put an outfit together?
- A. I take inspo from everywhere really – my guilty pleasure is TOWIE, and often they’ll have styles or outfits that I think I can adapt.
- Q. How long does it take you to get ready?
- A. I’m not too bad really, it takes me about 30 to 45mins to get ready on a morning and if I’m going out it’s a couple of hours… but you know, I need the wine time!
- Q. How do you choose to accessorise a look?
- A. Accessorising is my thing. I love to accessorise. I guess I kind of suss out the vibe of the outfit and then just have fun experimenting – I usually draw out a colour or shade. And if I’m wearing something pretty subtle I’ll bring it to life with accessories. I also love layering up necklaces, which works really well with a v-neck.
- Q. What are the wardrobe essentials we should all have?
- A. Heels are absolutely essential, I’d also be lost without a good pair of black skinnies. More recently I’ve also being attached to my bodies – they’re pretty versatile and work well with a number of different outfits. They can also be dressed up or down really easily.
- Q. What’s your one tip to always looking good?
- A. Bold lips can bring an outfit to life, and heels are just so good for changing how you feel. They really can change the whole vibe of an outfit.
- Q. Who’s your style inspo?
- A. I’m obsessed with Gigi Hadid – she literally always looks amazing and has a really strong casual look.
So to nail the whole ‘I’m gorgeous, don’t even question my style’ look – all you have to do is…
Keep things balanced – if you’re going casual, make sure you’re made up. If you’re doing heels, keep it muted elsewhere – be it shapes and cuts, or colours.
Turns out looking shit hot doesn’t have to be as hard as we all thought – cheers Sav… you’re still my style inspo 🙂